Saturday, August 9, 2008

If I Must Explain...

Oh, due to some requests that I explain my previous post, I will do so in this post. I wonder how I begin because as I mentioned before, this whole bidding system is very complicated. It took me quite some time to understand it too.

Ok, so here is it. At the beginning of every semester, everyone will be given 1000 points, split into 2 accounts, which are General and Program. How is it split? It varies from course to course but as for me, it is 400 for General and 600 for Program. Given this points, we are supposed to bid for our modules (which are subjects, sorry guys, I need to get used to this term. Therefore, I need to maintain it as modules).

You can imagine this whole bidding system as an auction (in Malay, called lelong). The points given to us represent the money and modules we bid for represent the items being auctioned. So, as in an auction, what we need to do is to bid for modules that we like with our points. However, there are limited space or quota in a modules. Certain modules are available for seniors to bid as well while some are off-limit to them. So, in certain modules, we actually need to fight with our seniors through bidding. Obviously, they have more points than us as they are here longer (duh!) than us. Definitely, we are at disadvantaged. To help us, NUS (my uni lor) had given this protection from seniors by reserving places for us in certain modules (especially Program modules). However, for General modules, we don't have that protection. Of course then, the seniors usually will win over us in bidding. Because of that. we need to choose wisely on our choices of modules and try to get a module on the lowest bidding point (without sacrificing our interest).

Do you understand now? Try to understand it a little, I try to make things as simple as possible...

For me, it is settled for now. No more bidding for this semester. I am happy, my mind is spared for now...

No comments: