Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Wonder...

Today, I have another practical. Well, it is about some microorganisms named E.coli. Sounds familiar? It is actually found in guts and intestine of animals and humans as well. It actually smell kind of weird like the smell in pet shop. Kind of weird, I wonder why.

As I was doing my practical today, I encountered many new equipments which I never see before in my entire life. It is not because I never concentrate in school, it is just that school don't have such equipments. One of it was centrifuge. I had only learn about it theoretically but never have a chance to see it and use it. Today is that day of breakthrough of me using it to extract DNA of E.coli. If you ever recall of what you have learn about how centrifuge, you might come across the term 'supernatant'. After centrifugation, you will realize that there is 2 layers in your tube and the top layer is known as supernatant containing DNA and sometimes RNA depending on the microorganisms you used.

Due to the fact that I had seen many equipments today, I feel a little "jakun" compared to other people. Even simple things such as pipettor, I will blur for a moment. The equipments are just too new to me I guess. Moreover, some of items such as pipettes and tubes are actually disposed after they are used in an experiment. Kind of waste, right? I think so myself. I remember back in schoo days, we need to wash it after we used it because they are expensive. They no longer do that in university (I think should apply for most uni) to avoid contamination of the solution and chemical substance. Now I know why the fees is so high? Kind of make sense, doesn't it?

Talking about DNA, I remember I actually have cow DNA given by my lecturer in one of the class. If you look at DNA for first time, you will think that it is actually a thread because it looks exactly like one. You will thought that it is a DNA because first thing that come to our mind is that, "Isn't DNA a small thing that you can't see it?". Well, if you are saying one complete double helix, then maybe. But of course, DNA that is extracted is not consists of only one strain. So, definitely you can see it. By the way, it is whitish and abit sticky when you touch it. Not something you would see everyday especially in school because in school, there are just too limited budget for such equipments and materials that you need.

Well, I need to get going now, to sleep. And by the way, I realise I had no longer have a longer sleeping time. Most of my class starts in morning. Even my only Wednesday where I can wake up late is gone (for certain weeks) due to Organic Chemistry's practical class which is on 2 weeks once. Got to go now....

No comments: